Mojang is a Microsoft-owned game developer studio based in Stockholm, Sweden. We are best known as the creators of Minecraft, and are currently working on several new games, a movie, a board game, and lots more – all within the Minecraft franchise.
We create games, products and services to inspire creativity. We develop games with a strong community focus and put players first in everything we do. Our games are built for everyone, because we believe in demonstrating equality and not just talking about it.
As the Minecraft franchise continues to expand, we are looking to grow our Media & Events team with a Media Director. This person will be responsible for setting and overseeing the creative direction of all of our first-party media productions. The Media Director will creatively drive and – together with the Lead Producer – support our current Media & Events team. Together, they produce all first-party content for our YouTube channel (with over 4 million subscribers!), Minecraft Live (formerly known as MINECON Live), Minecraft Festival (an evolution of MINECON – crystal clear, right?) and miscellaneous internal video productions. We also have ambitions to start up live streaming and will look to this person to help us get it off the ground!
The Media Director will be accountable for setting the creative vision for the Media & Events program (and will work closely with the Head of Creative and Head of Creative Production to ensure it reflects the franchise vision and priorities) as well as directing, inspiring and motivating cross-functional teams which we’ll depend on to execute initiatives. This role will be crucial in fostering tight collaborations, open communication and transparency with the rest of the Creative team as well as other areas of our business including Marketing, Product and Leadership teams (some which are based overseas in our Redmond studio). You will at all times stay true to the brand, and at the same time exercise the balancing act of extending it for a specific purpose, or to fully actualize a product’s unique identity.
- Experience in directing video projects: a strong portfolio which demonstrates a range of creative styles across live-action as well as animation.
- The ability to take in, adapt and represent the creative vision for our brand within the Media & Events team.
- A natural leader, diplomatic and constructive with the ability to inspire and motivate those around you.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, comfortably working with partners from all over the world.
- Strong presentation skills and confidence in rationalising creative decisions and ideas to different stakeholder groups.
- Ability to clearly define and communicate complex creative ideas and manage stakeholder expectations.
- Highly organised and able to work with a broad team on multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- A valuable team player, collaborative within a cross-studio environment.
- Knowledge and appreciation of pop culture.
- Knowledge of the Minecraft game is a huge plus!
Some travel will be involved (mainly to the US a few times a year).
To help us create amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and inspiration required to create world-class entertainment. But of course, the people of Mojang are what makes this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us achieve it!
Mojang strives to be a diverse and inclusive studio and if you think this job sounds like your passion, you are more than welcome to apply, no matter who you are or where you are from.